Wednesday 24 August 2011

It was my first trip to the screen printing workshop today since the summer hols began, so I was filled with anticipation and excitement to get in there and try out a couple of new designs that I've been working...

~ hexie and leaf ~

~ waves ~

But it didn't all go according to plan...
There was...

...the good...

...the bad...

...and the downright ugly...


I learnt 2 things today...

...first was to make sure the squeegee is securely at the back of the screen so that when you actually print a good piece you don't go and ruin it by the squeegee flying off the back when you raise the bed;-(

...second, use a little masking tape to secure lightweight fabric in place and prevent blurring.

One thing I have been struggling with when printing on fabric is this blurring and I haven't been able to work out how to prevent it. Today Gina (remember my guru who knows everything?) was about so I asked her how I could stop it. I don't have this problem with paper or heavier fabric, so I knew it was all about the fabric moving, but my brain wasn't engaging as to how I could stop it happening.

All it took was a secret ingredient - masking tape - and my blurring days were behind me (I hope).

Quite frankly, I'm disappointed with all you screen printing aficionados for not sharing this little secret with me.

3 comments:

Caro said...

You'll get there! Prints are coming on a treat, that lime coloured one is lovely. Masking tape is fine for smallish bits but for larger sections, or if you want to progress to printing multiple colours and registering them, then you'll have to gum it to the table ,or pin to a backing cloth if it's thinner fabric you're using. I've got lots of hand outs and things I could send you if and when the time comes! Happy printing!x

Lisa McGee said...

How fascinating to hear the steps of learning this process- the designs are looking great and I suppose making these mistakes is how you learn for yourself to work out the kinks, although I agree- would be nice to get a heads up!!
Enjoy yourself, look forward to following your progress.

Kylie said...

Great post Karen. I confess I've never used tape or anything to keep the fabric from slipping. I guess I haven't used lightweight fabric though, so maybe that's it ;) Anyway, have to tell you that I really really REALLY love your hex design! OMG, how fabulous is it?! Your wave design is just wonderful too. So in love with them both. I think it was the good, the good and the better :) Kx