Thursday 12 April 2012


I've built up quite a collection of screens now and it's fab to have my designs on them to make printing to order nice and speedy.
I have however kept one blank.


 I've done this so that I can still try out new designs and ideas at home, without the time and expense of transferring them more permanently to screens if the designs don't work.
Working with stencils means it is relatively easy to do just that.







So today, in a spare 5 minutes - literally - I started working on refining a previous design and started cutting out a stencil from newsprint paper. 
I'm always amazed how much detail the paper gives you when you print. It's such flimsy paper, but with a flood of paint over the screen, it sticks like magic and works as well as a photo exposed screen.


The only drawback really is the temporary-ness of a stencil, but the flexibility that it gives far outweighs this and is definitely a worthy method in it's own right and one I'll be repeating I'm sure.






In the meantime I think I'll be getting this design up onto a screen some time very soon.

10 comments:

Amy Friend said...

Love that design!

Nicky said...

You seem full of ideas Karen!

Little Bluebell (Adrianne) said...

Oh Karen!! I love this one. Make it a keeper!!! : )

**nicke... said...

Karen, i think this one is my very favorite! love it!

Cherie said...

Love the design. Have you thought about using acetate to make them? it can be washed and kept? =D

Reene@Nellie's Niceties said...

You must!! This is delicious :)

nickynackynoo said...

Definitely worth a permanent screen of its own. Love it.

Colette said...

It's gorgeous - lovely colour you used too.

Unknown said...

That is so pretty - beautifully offset by the jug. I am amazed that the newsprint doesn't go soggy or tear with ink being pulled over it... probably you can tell I've never done any screen printing!! Surely you can only use it once? Are you off to the BCTF again this year...if you are you must be there! good luck x

Kylie said...

Oh those screens all lined up like that are soooo beautiful, Karen :) I love that divine little jug in the last photo too :) I use paper a lot for my designs - I buy waterproof paper from the art supplies shop. They call it aqueous paper. You can wash it afterwards so there's no ink on it and use it again and again. Kx

p.s. how are you? I feel like I've been down a hole chasing a rabbit ;) Crochet order almost finished!!